Casier-Sud Pioneer Agricultural Project
Hat Sayfong district in Vientiane province is mainly inhabited by small farmers cultivating plots of an average of 1.5 ha. Extreme poverty and food shortages are common in the area.
The project's goal was to increase farm incomes and food production, especially that of grains, commercial crops and fish, and to improve nutritional intake for people in the target area.
- development of irrigation and drainage systems
- agricultural investments in farm credit, inputs, extension services and pilot farms
- investments in fisheries development, including establishing fish farms and supplying fish feed and young fish for breeding
- support to farmers' and fishers' organizations and credit institutions
- development of marketing facilities